Requirements to Obtain a Sponsor Certificate/Letter of Eligibility
The godparents, together with the parents, must be willing to help the baptized grow in love for Christ and neighbor. By word and example, the godparents will encourage the candidate to live the Christian life and fulfill faithfully the obligations connected with it. (cf. Code of Canon Law, c. 872-874)
- A sponsor must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Holy Eucharist, Confirmation, and if married, married in the Catholic Church.
- A sponsor must be at least 16 years old.
- A sponsor attends Mass faithfully participating in the life and support of the Church, receiving the Eucharist, and leading a life according to the teachings of the Church.
- A sponsor must be registered here at St. William. If he/she received all his/her sacraments here at St. William, but does not live here, they are not a member of this parish but a member of the parish whose territory he/she now resides in. That parish is the one to go to, to receive a sponsor certificate.
- CONTACT THE PARISH OFFICE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT OBTAINING A SPONSOR CERTIFICATE