Confirmation, together with Baptism and Eucharist, form the Sacraments of Initiation that are all intimately connected. In the Sacrament of Confirmation, the baptized person is “sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit” and is strengthened for service to the Body of Christ.
Requirements to Obtain a Sponsor Certificate/Letter of Eligibility
The godparents, together with the parents, must be willing to help the baptized grow in love for Christ and neighbor. By word and example, the godparents will encourage the candidate to live the Christian life and fulfill faithfully the obligations connected with it. (cf. Code of Canon Law, c. 872-874)
- A sponsor must have received the Sacraments of Baptism, Holy Eucharist, Confirmation, and if married, married in the Catholic Church.
- A sponsor must be at least 16 years old.
- A sponsor attends Mass faithfully participating in the life and support of the Church, receiving the Eucharist, and leading a life according to the teachings of the Church.
- A sponsor must be registered here at St. William. If he/she received all his/her sacraments here at St. William, but does not live here, they are not a member of this parish but a member of the parish whose territory he/she now resides in. That parish is the one to go to, to receive a sponsor certificate.
- CONTACT THE PARISH OFFICE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT OBTAINING A SPONSOR CERTIFICATE
Confirmation preparation is a two-year program beginning in the 7th grade. The 8th grade students will receive the Sacrament of Confirmation in May. Candidates will have several requirements to meet before they may receive this Sacrament. Full cooperation is needed from parents and children. Any special session, meetings, Masses or related activities are required for all concerned. Lack of participation by students and/or parents may result in the child’s sacrament being postponed. The Pastor will make the decision for Sacramental postponement.
The date for Confirmation is based on the schedules of both the Bishop and the Pastor. Once this information is received, parents are notified.